Friday, January 17, 2014

If this is to end in fire, then we will all burn together!....... Or why the fandom hasn't completely fled the room yet.

So.... after a freaking MONTH, I FINALLY got to see The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug.  It been a rough start to the year.


Anyway.. Thoughts.

This is NOT the Lord Of The Rings movies.  Granted, the book that PJ had to work with was way thinner than LOTRs.  It was basically a childrens book. It's lighter in tone and less descriptive than LOTRs.  So he could take a LOT of  libraries.  And boy did he take them.

Granted, if you are ever just mildly familiar with the geek scene, you heard this all before, so I won't bore ya with a rehash of all that. Instead... A list of what did and didn't work for me
Here be SPOILERS.



The Didn't Work.

Thorin's Grumpy Pants attitude really started to get on my neaves in this moive.
Gandalf's sudden departure was... Really hasty. At least in the book he gave them warning!
Beorn's scenes were too short.
WTF was up the the orcs? Too CG.
Not all the dwarves speak. Again.
Dwarf elf love.
Thorins interaction with Smaug
The dwarf elf love.... Yes, I'm choking on this one.
Too many stories with not enough endings.
Bard was... I didn't click with him.
The Barrel chase scene


The Did Work

Thranduil and Thorins head butting. The two biggest divas in one room.
The spiders. Holy fuck the spiders.
Bilbo. Bilbo. BILBO. I want to hug him.
Smaug. Yeah, finally a Dragon that look like a bad ass.
Gandalf and Radagast exploring the ruins.
Beorn's house and Beorn.
I also REALLY love Bilbos tendency to ask "why?" when no one else will.
 

Ok, form this list you would conclude that i have moe I hate about this movie, then like.  But funny enough.... I don't. I REALLY want to see it again, and am really  interested in what the Extended cut might hold.  I don't have the deep love for this series that I did for LOTR, but I can't say I'm not enjoying the trip back. When it get it right, it wonderful. When it doesn't, it just feels like another summer movie. I have a feeling I'll be revisiting this review when I finally get to see it again, just because I know I'm missing a ton I and I didn't get to see in in the best theater (2D showing, the sound wasn't great, and i think it was slightly out of focus during large parts of the movie).






No comments:

Post a Comment