Wednesday, June 26, 2013

And the days grow long, and the nights get hot, and I think of fall.

Edit... ok, so I'm a liar, as this post proves

I'm not saying I hate summer.  Dislike it intensely, but not hate outright.  Scratch that, I hate summer.  While many are excited to get out of school, or summer vacation, I'm dreading the heat and the humidity that seem to be a staple around here now. Clearly  I am not (thanks to my mostly Irish/Scottish/Polish ancestry) meant to function in weather hotter than 80 F.  

Ok, maybe not that dramatic, but still, there is plenty to dislike about the summer. 

When it get this hot, not matter what you do, it seem you're alway one sick animal  away from a disaster. And with so many baby animals right now, it doubles the burden (we have baby chick, baby pigs, a calf, and baby rabbit right now). And the flies *shudders*. Granted. we live on a farm. And farm animals do three things without fail. Eat, try to breed, and poop. And, unless you have an excellent system to deal with that poop, you WILL have flies.  Thanks to the nice wet spring we had, we have bumper crop of flies. They are EVERYWHERE.  We have fly traps, ashes spread on the animal yards, fly paper, and are attempting to composting/removing the manure as fast as we can, but we still have flies.  *shudders*  And if anything should (lord forbid) die, and you don't find it in a 8 hour time frame...... Yeah, maggot. My sister tells me there is a tone of voice I only use when maggots are involved. 

summer_0628

isn't she cute?
summer_0585




DSCN8915
 So, yes, we have flies, and I'm doing my best not to run screaming "THE CARRIER OF THE PLAGUE"  when I hit a cloud of them.   

Thankfully we're working on a larger pen for the pigs that should help with the fly problem (the pigs are in a rather confined space right now, and that exacerbates the fly  problem).  Of course we're doing in the hottest week we've had so far. A soul drained, body crushing hot week.  And to top it off my sister got a stomach bug  (THE PLAGUE), so it been as much fun a a barrel full of monkeys.
  summer_0570
High tensile wire 
summer 2_0684

The Spinning Jenny 
summer 2_0685


summer 2_0673

 It's two and a half acres, and we're doing high tensile fence with one strand of barb wire at  the bottom to deter any rooting by the pigs.  I gotta say.... I hope we *see* the pigs again after we throw them in  there. The plot where we are fencing is a MESS. Treetops, brambles....   Just take a look. 
summer 2_0682

summer 2_0678

summer 2_0688

And poison ivy.  God I hate that stuff. I've avoided getting a bad case of it for years, but I know it'll happen again one day, and I'll be the walking bitchy itchy for a few weeks as it heals 

summer 2_0676


I sound like all I have to say about summer is bad thing.   I'll name a few of the things I do like about summer, even this post out a bit.

The fresh vegetable  and fruit  
summer_0589

summer_0590

summer_0544

summer_0552

Lovely sunset and sunrises 
summer_0578

summer_0579

and moons (the resent "supermoon" we had)  This photos isn't tinted at all, there was a fire somewhere that gave the whole sky this red tint all day and in to that night.  
summer 2_0656






No comments:

Post a Comment