Thursday, June 13, 2013

Before I succumb to ennui

So  I've been feeling an itch lately to make some nice Halloween props. We have some, but most didn't survive my childhood, and they were of the corny, crappy kind.   I recently saw this post on how to make a Styrofoam  headstone and thought "hey, I have some heavy wight Styrofoam! Let's try this!". 

I've done two attempts so far, with varying success  


 First attempt. 

The tools 
DSCN8880



DSCN8884

DSCN8882
The pattern

DSCN8878


So, I wnated to cover the Styrofoam with something that would keep it form degrading in the sun if I put in outside. We have the resin glue we use in the shop, and for some reason that pop in my mind as a good thing to try.  
I traced my pattern on to the foam
DSCN8877

and carved away with the soldering knife. I REALLY need different tips, I just have the one little pointed one ( have and some suggestion on homemade ones, haven't had a chance to try them yet). 
DSCN8881

cleaned up the edges a bit with eh knife, and then mixed up the resin. 

DSCN8886

and painted it on.  note....... I didn't mix it well enough and there were some lumps  
DSCN8887


When it dried I did some test, and found that on some some spot the resin could be picked or chipped off 
DSCN8945
and the wrods got filled in more then I would have liked, to I have to carve them out a bit.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm
This didn't denture me, so on to round two! 

DSCN8976


This one I took the precaution of lightly sanding the foam before putting the resin on.  I also did some test with laying paper or fabric on to keep it form cracking. 
DSCN9063

Did a "whack it" test. 
fabric
DSCN9064

paper
DSCN9065

I think if I am making anything in a high traffic area, fabric look better for holding its shape and not cranking. 

They both sand up really well though, I just have to work on the air pockets under the material I use.

DSCN9066

The sanding of the foam seem to have solved the peeling problem though, so I went ahead and painted the face. 
DSCN9069

And that is as far as I've gotten.  I need to cover the rest of it, and then try some paint tests.  Gonna get my sister  Inkibus to help with that.  She is the queen of making wood and bondo look like metal and stone, this should be easy for her.