Thursday, December 05, 2013

Sheeter buri ashchhe dheye

Well,  winter just can't wait to get here it seems. As I'm typing this, we are in the middle of a nice winter storm that is currently sleet, but might turn to ice or snow depending on just how the front  move through. We have an inch of sleet on the ground right now. Sleet and snow, I can handle. Freezing rain, and it all goes to hell in a handbasket. 
The weather blew in rather dramatically this morning. It was cold when we got up, then it got colder, then it started raining. thankfully that only lasted a short spell, and turn over to sleet.  
DSCN9808 DSCN9807 DSCN9773

Thankfully we had a weeks warning that it was going to get bad.  So we scrambled to shore up our meager firewood pile and secure the animals to where they were comfortable.  We were working so hard, I was so tired for the last few days, I couldn't even get to my usual bed time of 10, I was asleep by 8:30! 
And the cold, so cold. It is 19F (-7C ) right now, but thankfull no howling wind.  There is talk of getting to -4 F  (-20 C)  tomorrow night. Ech.  This will go on for at least a week.  Not much to do but stay indoor and sit tight.  I'm really hoping we still have electric in the morning. 
It really blew in some dramatic sunrises and sun sets the last few days.  That was nice. 
DSCN9749 DSCN9758 DSCN9762 DSCN9766 DSCN9765 
One other little treat. This morning a dozen  Double crested Cormorant blew in and settled on the pond all day.  I could see them swimming back and forth through the shop window.  Didn't want to scare them off, so I didn't get too close, but got some pic and a video.  I rather hope they stick around for a few days. 
DSCN9790
(Video will have to come later) 

No comments:

Post a Comment